Industrial paper production at Balsthal began in 1883 when Robert and Arthur Bareiss founded the private limited partnership company Papier- und Couvertfabrik Balsthal and one year later installed the first paper machine. The following 80 years the company developed further despite of frequent political and economical turmoil in the neighbouring countries and the rest of the world.
Due to space constraints, a new green-field tissue mill was set up in the neighbour village of Niederbipp which resulted in the foundation of the new Attisholz Holding with Tela Papierfabrik AG responsible for the paper production at the plants Balsthal and Niederbipp. In the same year the German tissue producer Hakle with plants at Mainz and Reichenburg was taken over.
Attisholz Holding sold the Tela Papierfabrik as well as the Hakle mills to the US-multinational Kimberly-Clark Corporation. Up from this time the traditional brands of Tela and Hakle belonged to the largest producer of hygienic papers worldwide.
Due to a strategic decision Kimberly-Clark closed the Hakle plant at Reichenburg and sold the plant at Balsthal to Papierfabrik Horgen Holding AG, a Swiss producer of sanitary papers based on recycled fibres. The converting machines of Horgen were moved to Balsthal and the company renamed to SwissQualityPaper Horgen Balsthal AG.
The Soin family from India acquired the company as part of a global expansion strategy and the company was renamed to Saber SwissQualityPaper AG. The company continues to focus on that which it does best, and is now known as SwissQualityPaper AG. The company's product strategy revolves around the prodution of specialty papers for Masking Tape Paper, Cigarette Filter Paper and Hygiene Products.